Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

Shooting - Day 1 - 'The Beach'

Monday, November 15, 2010

.
For the first day of shooting, Saturday 13th November, I arranged to get a lift to a near-deserted beach at Holmpton, near Withernsea. I took my camera, tripod, a power torch, kindling, firelighters, lighters and my shooting schedule. I waited until dark to shoot the shots I wanted and although the shots achieved were aesthetically pleasing it was simply too dark to shoot everything I needed. I assumed that the light from the power torch would be powerful enough to light the scenes of narrative at the beach but it was not. However, I do not regret shooting on Saturday at night, I always wanted to shoot at night but now that I know that it is completely unfeasible (without pro lighting equipment) I am completely willing to adapt my video so that the fire is set in the day time. Although this won't look as aesthetically pleasing, it still makes sense within my narrative. Another issue I had on this day was that the fire I started didn't last as long as I had expected so before I shoot again on Wednesday I will buy some fire logs as opposed to kindling as fire logs should burn for longer.

Another effect I utilised on the day of shooting but without planning was a kind of strobe lighting effect created by quickly shaking the power torch in different directions. I really liked the effect it created but I will not be able to recreate it in the daylight obviously, however I can perhaps insert these shots into the 'Otherworld' sequence if I see fit to do so.

I am going back to the same beach in the day time on Wednesday 17th November. I am also going to shoot the "forest" scenes here involving the male, except instead of having him running through a forest, he will be running across a vast open plain near the clifftops of the beach as when I saw it on Saturday I knew it would be a perfect location for the shots I needed and, again, still makes sense within the narrative, if not more sense.

Here are some night shots from Saturday that I have already synched to the song. These shall all be replaced on Wednesday for the same shots in daylight. I have also added effects to each scene I have in this sample, namely being the 'Fast Colour Corrector' in Premiere Pro's effects which turned the first scene a shade of blue to make Leann look cold, because in the video she is isolated at this point. In the scene with the fire, I added a red hue to increase the feeling of warmth she is getting from the fire, however in hindsight I may have made the red a little too strong here. The last scene is two shots of Leann, one overlaid with another shot of herself at a slightly different angle and one overlaid with a shot of the burning fire. I will definitely be using these effects in the 'Otherworld' scene, as I think they both look very effective, especially the overlaid fire shot.