Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

Audience Feedback Results

Friday, April 01, 2011

.
Below is an example of a completed music video questionnaire.



Below is a chart I designed for me to easily analyse the results (will be explained below). I printed off the table and filled in the results by hand.



For questions 1 to 5, a number out of 5 was given for how well they followed the narratice, how effective it was, etc. (correlating to the question numbers).
For the yes or no question, a tick means they did enjoy my video and a cross means they didn't.
FOr the 'why' row, a tick means they gave a reason as to why they did or didn't enjoy my video.
For the comments section, a tick means they did give an extra comment, and a dash means they did not.

Each question serves it's own purpose which I shall now discuss.

Overall how effective as a music video did you find this?

The mean score of results here was 3.7/5 so I am extremely pleased that the audience members, AS Media students who are regularly exposed to many music videos thought that mine was effective too.

How well did you follow the narrative? Bearing in mind that it is open to interpretation.

The mean score here was 3.6/5 and, again, I'm very pleased with this score as my narrative is quite loose one and can be interpreted in several different ways and I'm glad to see that however my narrative was interpreted by my audience, they could easily make sense of it, even if it doesn't turn out to be what I interpret my video as.

How well do the music video, CD artwork and website design work together as a whole?

Again, I'm extremely pleased with the feedback here which gave me a mean score of 3.9/5 as it shows that the music video, CD/DVD digipak and website design all have an in house style and are easily recognisable to each other.

How well do you think that my video would appeal to my target audience of 16-25 year olds?

With a mean score here of 4/5, I'm very happy with the results as it is extremely important that my video be appealing to my age demographic and to get a high result like this from people within my demographic is very encouraging.

Do you think the video enhances the song?

I was hoping for a higher mean score here than 3.7/5 because whenever I watch a music video, I tend to feel as though the video becomes an integral part of my experience of the song in the future, however that could just be my viewpoint and it is still a high score nonetheless.

Overall, did you enjoy the video? Why?

15 out of 17 people answered yes to this question and gave some very positive feedback such as "excellent editing and very original story" which I am extremely happy about, however 2 audience members answered no to the question, one person said that they thought "the editing was amazing but the song's just not my cup of tea" which is perfectly understandable of course, and the other said that there was too much blood in the video for them to enjoy it. A sentiment echoed in the additional comments section below.

Any other comments?

The vast majority of my audience members said that they felt there was too much blood within my music video, which is certainly something I would definitely rethink if I were to re-make my music video, however it should be noted that they still said that they enjoyed the video and gave high marks for the questions. One person's additional comment stated that "the key to a good music video is a band performance," and although I thoroughly respect their opinion I disagree entirely, some music videos that are entirely narrative have been extremely effective and thought-provoking such as Miike Snow's 'Silvia' and UNKLE's 'Rabbit In Your Headlights' and I think it is a little narrow minded that a music video can only be "good" when including a performance.

All in all though, I would say I am very pleased with my feedback, positive and negative, and have learned from the results.